St Mary’s Calne offers an academically enriching working environment within the beautiful Wiltshire countryside, with easy transport links to Bristol, Bath and London
St Mary’s Calne is a member of the Girls’ Schools Association (GSA) and the Headmasters’ and Headmistress’ Conference (HMC); it is a leader in the field of girls’ independent boarding education. It has around 360 girls aged 11-18, including 120+ girls in the Sixth Form. As well as innovative teaching, learning and scholarship, St Mary’s Calne offers outstanding pastoral care and a vibrant, warm community.
St Mary’s Calne believes in excellence in all respects. As a school community, we thrive amidst a culture of strong expectations and the education which we provide nurtures and develops the concept of high performance. The principal aim is to develop well-rounded pupils who are equipped to excel as adults.
Extra-curricular opportunities beyond the classroom are a vital and integral part of life for girls at St Mary’s Calne. These opportunities are woven into the timetable during the day, in the evenings and at weekends. We believe that both boarders and day girls benefit from all aspects of the strong boarding ethos of the school.
St Mary’s Calne is looking for a talented and enthusiastic teacher, with outstanding inter-personal skills, to teach Mathematics from Year 7 up to and including A Level. This post would suit both an experienced or an early career teacher with A Level teaching experience.
There are currently four full-time members of staff in the Department along with a further three part-time members of staff. In the Fourth Form, pupils follow a comprehensive Key Stage 3 curriculum which allows for movement between sets, and provides the opportunity to apply their maths skills creatively. Pupils follow the Edexcel IGCSE course in the Fifth Form and uptake of Mathematics and Further Mathematics in the Sixth Form is high. Results in public examinations are consistently excellent and a number of pupils each year go on to top universities to study the subject.
Outside the classroom, there are many opportunities to participate in Maths Challenges and the Department runs several events and trips annually.
What we want from you
· A strong academic background and a good honours degree in Mathematics or related subject.
· Qualified Teacher Status.
· Up to date knowledge of Mathematics developments for pupils 11-18.
· An empathetic, enthusiastic and well-presented person, capable of inspiring confidence in pupils, parents and staff.
· Ability to: work flexibly to fulfil the requirements of the post; prioritise; work calmly under pressure and respond positively to changing demands.
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with very good written and spoken English.
· Excellent organisational and time management skills; competency in the use of ICT for administration and teaching purposes.
· An understanding of the expectations, ethos and aims of a full boarding school.
· Committed to the safeguarding and wellbeing of children and young people.
What we offer
· Excellent and tailored CPD within the department and across the school.
· Highly motivated pupils with lessons taught in small groups.
· Competitive salary and membership of the Teacher Pension Scheme.
· Discounted membership of the St Mary’s Calne Sports Club.
· Fee remission for daughters educated at St Mary’s Calne and for sons and daughters. educated at St Margaret’s Preparatory School.
· Complimentary meals in the Dining Hall during term time.
· Free on-site parking.
How to Apply
For an Application Form please visit Vacancies on our website www.stmaryscalne.org
Telephone: 01249 857200 (Karen Turner)
Closing date: Midday, Friday 7th January 2022