Caldicott is one of the country’s most prestigious Independent Boarding and Day Preparatory Schools for Boys. We are a flourishing school with around 250 boys from 7 to 13 years old, with a five-day week in Year 3 & Year 4, Saturday School from Year 5 and all boys weekly board in Year 7 & Year 8. We deliver a first-class education, sporting provision and a rich variety of music, drama, arts and extracurricular opportunities in a friendly and supportive working environment. The school is only twenty miles from central London in a beautiful location.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an able and inspiring Head of Theology, Philosophy and Religion to join our highly successful staffroom. This full time position is for a person with a relevant degree and qualified teacher status. S/he will be able to foster a supportive, dynamic, professional department and be eager to continuously develop their own teaching skills, enjoy leading and sharing ideas with colleagues and collaborating across departments. The position requires understanding of KS2 and KS3, but as Caldicott is committed to promoting the highest expectations, experience of teaching the GCSE syllabus would be most desirable. A strong academic track record; confidence in teaching across KS2 and up to 13+ Common Entrance and scholarship level plus excellent interpersonal skills are key to success in this role.
The successful candidate will:
· Be educated to degree level in Philosophy, Theology and / or Religious Studies;
· Have thorough knowledge of each subject area and keep abreast of developments in teaching;
· Provide varied opportunities to foster the spiritual, moral, social and cultural development of pupils;
· be passionate about equipping boys with a flair for solving problems and lateral thinking;
· have a strong academic background that would add to the school’s academic culture;
· be equally at home teaching those who find these subjects and concepts hard and those who work at a level above their age group; and
· be a resourceful, resilient and good humoured team player.
The ability to teach a second subject would be advantageous. In addition, this post may appeal to members of the clergy.
All Year 7 & 8 either weekly or full board so boarding is an important part of our culture and over 95% of boys leaving at 13+ to the UK’s top boarding schools. The successful candidate must show a desire to play a full and active role, including contributions to pastoral care and extra-curricular activities.
Caldicott is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment. The successful applicant will be subject to an enhanced DBS check.